Have you been searching for the best electric shaver for thick beard? It’s not as easy as you might think because in spite of what the ads say, not all shavers can handle thick hair. And it’s not enough to just cut the hair as you’ll want a shaver that will help you manage your beard.
We know how difficult it is to find good thick beard shavers, so we scoured the web and came up with two shavers that have been designed for men with lots of facial hair.
Panasonic ES8243A Arc4 Electric Razor for Men, 4-Blade Cordless Shaver
The Arc4 is packed with features that make it easy for you to cut, trim and manage a heavy beard. The highlight here is the Arc foil shaving system that cuts beard and thick hair for a close, smooth shave. However it also has other features like a pivoting head and heavy duty motor for superior performance.
- The Arc4 shaving mechanism uses stainless steel, ultra-thin foils to grab, hold and lift hair. Next, its four 30 degree angle blades shave hair right on your skin for a close shave.
- The foils and blades are hypoallergenic so they won’t irritate your skin.
- The Arc4 has an ergonomic grip and optimized for full grooming and minimize shaving time.
- LCD Display: the shaver has an easy to read digital display. Since the LCD is on the handle you can quickly see the information. The LCD has a battery charge indicator, foil and blade reminder, sonic vibration cleaning mode, cleaning notification, five stage battery indicator and a shave timer.
- Its shaver trimmer makes it easy to detail your moustache. The trimmer is set at the back of the shaver head, so you just have to pop it up when needed.
- The face shaver head is flexible, making it easy to pivot and move side by side or up and down. This results in an even movement as the head follows your face’s facial contours.
- Its linear motor runs at 13,000 CPM, compared to the standard 10,000 CPM used by most shavers.
- Shaves smoothly without causing skin irritation
- Can be used dry or in the shower
- No need to use special cleaning solutions
- Easy maintenance
- Makes a distinct sound when in use, though it’s not really noisy
- May take some time to get a close shave
Who is it Best For?
The Arc4 is first and foremost for men with a thick beard. It’s not perfect, but the design and shaving power also makes this ideal for those who have thick facial hair in general. As powerful as it is, the Arc4 is soft enough for men with sensitive skin and wary of irritation.
The Arc4 is an exceptional shaver. As the feature highlights and specs above show, this is the kind of shaver you use when the cheaper ones fail. Since it is very capable of close shaves, thick hair or otherwise, it’s a good buy.
Philips Norelco Beard trimmer Series 3500
The Philips Norelco 3500 is billed as a friendly shaver for cutting and maintaining beard and stubble. While it’s not as fancy as other trimmers, it does have all the practical elements built in.
- Titanium steel blades: the 3500 has high quality titanium steel blades which prevent skin irritation and trims hair efficiently. The blades self-sharpen too for your convenience. Because the blades are self-sharpening, you can use this shaver for a long time and not experience loss in quality.
- The 3500 is ergonomically designed so you feel comfortable holding it. The handle’s shape also makes it easy to shave your neck and other areas that are usually hard to reach.
- The trimmer is detachable, allowing you to clean it after extensive use.
- The 3500 is equipped with a sophisticated lithium-ion battery to provide optimum power when shaving. Full charge takes an hour and is good for 120 minutes of shaving.
- The blades have been tailored made for cutting thick beard, and it also provides a protective trim. The blade tips are rounded, ensuring your skin doesn’t get irritated. The rounded blade tips might seem like a bad idea, but it actually works here.
- One of the more significant features on the 3500 is its 20 length settings. By adjusting the zoom wheel you’ll be able to get the settings just how you want it. You can lock the zoom wheel from 0.5 to 20 mm. There’s no need to attach anything else so the 3500 is ideal for straightforward shaving.
- The 3500 is mostly for trimming thick beards, but it’s just as efficient for stubble maintenance. Combine these with the ability to secure the length and you can trim your beard at the length you want.
- The package includes the cleaning brush, beard comb, power cord, electric trimmer and instructions for use.
- Easy to use
- Long lasting battery
- Powerful motor
- Allows incremental adjustments
- Cleaning could be easier
- Keeping stubble consistent takes some work
Who is it Best For?
As the features indicate, the 3500 is primarily for shaving, trimming and maintaining thick beard. If you have thick facial hair or hair just grows fast, you’ll find the 3500 handy for maintenance. Aside from facial trimming, you’ll find this practical for shaving hair on other parts of your body.
The 3500 is a quality trimmer, and while there are high end options, this should do for most men. It’s durable, easy to use and doesn’t leave your skin with a rough or irritated feel. For its adjustability and trimming features, we’re giving the 3500 a buy recommendation.
There are a lot of shavers in the market, but only a few are meant for heavy duty use. As always the real test comes with thick beards. The two products we reviewed here, the Norelco 3500 and the Panasonic Arc4, are both capable of trimming thick beards. So if your old shaver is just not up to the task, we suggest either of the two here.